These Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars with a Salty Pretzel make life easy when you want the best of both worlds. If you have a sweet tooth, these bars are for you. If you are in the mood for a little salt, these bars are also for you. These cookie bars will put a smile on everyone’s face.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup crushed salted pretzels, divided
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 8-inch square pan with parchment paper, allowing it to hang over two sides. Coat the paper with cooking spray.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk together the melted butter with the sugar and light brown sugar until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined. Stir in the flour and salt just until incorporated. Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips and 1/2 a cup of the crushed pretzels.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top, then sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of crushed pretzels on top, gently press dough with fingers to flatten and cover bottom of pan in even layer.
- Bake for about 30 until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Melt the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips with the vegetable oil in a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Remove the cookie bars from the oven and allow them to cool completely in the pan then remove the cookies using the parchment paper overhang.
- Drizzle the cookie bars with the melted chocolate and allow them to cool until the chocolate hardens.
- Cut the cookie bars into 16 squares and serve.